A new planning scheme - the first for the Bundaberg Region as a whole and the most significant planning project to be undertaken by Council - is now underway.
The new planning scheme will replace the following four planning schemes that currently operate within the Bundaberg Region:
- Bundaberg City Plan 2004
- Burnett Shire Planning Scheme 2006
- Kolan Shire Planning Scheme 2006
- Isis Shire Planning Scheme 2007
Planning Schemes Generally
A planning scheme is a statutory document that manages land use and development in a Local Government area.
The new planning scheme must be prepared in accordance with relevant State Planning Legislation, achieve consistency with the Queensland Planning Provisions and must reflect the of the Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan.
The State Government has also prepared Statutory Guideline 02/09 . This legislation sets out the minimum requirements which must be followed by a Local Government when preparing a new planning scheme.
The objectives of the Bundaberg Region Planning Scheme Project are:
- To produce a single, integrated planning scheme that regulates development across the whole of the Bundaberg Region.
- To produce a planning scheme that is simple and easy to use and administer.
- To comprehensively address the expectations of the community.
- To achieve compliance with the State legislation, the Queensland Planning Provisions and the Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan.
The new planning scheme is being prepared over a two and a half year period with the final version of the planning scheme scheduled to be adopted by Council in the middle of 2013.
Project Stages and Work Programme
There are 3 stages involved in the preparation of the new planning scheme as shown below. We are currently in Stage 2 (Land Use Strategy, Statement of Proposals and Strategy Framework)
Stage 1 of the project was completed in April 2011 and involved the following key activities:
- preparation of a consultation and communications plan
- preliminary targeted community and stakeholder engagement
- review of existing planning strategies and studies
- review of existing planning schemes
- identification of additional information required to inform planning scheme
- identification of key policy issues requiring address in planning scheme
- identify areas requiring more detailed local planning, and
- preparation of planning scheme scoping study to inform subsequent project stages
Stage 2 of the project involves the following key activities:
- continued targeted community and stakeholder engagement
- hold a series of community workshops - please see below if you wish to be part of these workshops
- preparation of Statement of Proposals, and
- engage key State agency stakholders
Community Engagement - How do I have my say?
A wide range of community and stakeholder engagement activities are currently being undertaken or are planned as part of the preparation of the new planning scheme.
Register your interest
Please complete our online form to join the project database, receive invitations to future consultation events and be kept up to date.
Please complete the online form here
Project Newsletter No 1 provides further introductory information about the Bundaberg Region Planning Scheme Project.
Further Newsletters will be published as the project progresses.
Attend an Our Place - Our Plan Community Workshop in your local area
A series of community workshops will be held in Stage 2 of the project to provide opportunities for public input into the planning strategies for the region. These 'Our Place - Our Plan' workshops will be locality based with an emphasis on coastal, central urban and rural town settings.
Further details regarding community workshops will be published in the future. Please provide your email address above to receive a direct invitation or continue to watch this page for times and locations.
For further information about the Bundaberg Region Planning Scheme Project please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Council's call centre on 1300 883 699.